DIRECTIONS: You’ll submit a complete of 5 separate posts for this unit.
1) Reply any THREE of the 9 questions listed under. It’s possible you’ll decide three questions from the identical chapter or three questions from two totally different chapters. It is fully as much as you. These three posts should have a minimal of 100 phrases every. Something much less will lead to a grade of ZERO with out the potential for a make-up put up.2) Submit TWO responses to different college students’ posts. The response posts have to be between 75-100 phrases. Something much less will lead to a grade of ZERO with out the potential for a make-up put up.
PLEASE MAKE SURE TO SUBMIT 5 SEPARATE POSTS: DO NOT ANSWER MORE THAN ONE QUESTION IN A SINGLE POST.
Chapter four: Epicurus
1. Though Epicurus is a hedonist, he’s clearly against vulgar hedonism. Can you discover further arguments for or towards the speculation of vulgar hedonism? Is it not terribly “ judgmental” for us to say that some pleasures are “larger” or “ decrease” than others? Shouldn’t we simply tolerate and settle for variations of opinion on this space? Or does it make extra sense to argue that there’s a pure hierarchy of pleasures and pains?
2. Epicurus believes that worry of divine retribution is the best supply of worry and anxiousness. Do you agree with this evaluation? Why or why not?
three. Epicurus argues that the very best and happiest lifestyle is one by which one seeks to fulfill on essentially the most fundamental, pure and mandatory needs. Do you agree that embracing such a lifetime of simplicity (no honor, fame, luxurious or wealth) is admittedly extra conducive to happiness and tranquility than attempting to “sustain with the Joneses”? In the event you stated “sure,” then are you already taking measures to reside within the Epicurean method?
Chapter 5: St. Thomas Aquinas
four. How would St. Thomas defend himself (if, certainly, such a protection is feasible) towards the cost of being “homophobic” (a phrase that didn’t exist in his time, however which is pretty widespread at this time)? Would you discover his protection believable? Why or why not?
5. If one is under no circumstances non secular, is it nonetheless attainable to take St. Thomas’ pure legislation precept significantly? May it nonetheless be relied upon as a information to dwelling properly? Clarify.
Chapter 6: Thomas Hobbes
6. Do you assume that being self-interested is a foul factor? If that’s the case, why? If not, why not?
7. Evaluate Christ’s Golden Rule with Hobbes’ Golden Rule. Which do you assume is simpler in getting folks to obey the legal guidelines, and why?
eight. Do you agree with Hobbes that our pure situation is considered one of lawlessness and violence? How do you assume you’d behave when you knew you can get away with no matter you wished to? Will we solely obey the legal guidelines out of worry of punishment?