Assessment Details and Submission Guidelines
Unit Code MN601
Unit Title Network Project Management
Period Trimester-1, 2019
Purpose of the assessment (with ULO Mapping) The purpose of this assignment is to develop a well-researched project planning document based on the overall parameters of a networking related project, establish an appropriate project management plan, and quality environment required to complete the chosen project. Furthermore, analyse project issues, conduct post-project review (i.e., lessons learned) and make recommendations for improvements for future projects. It addresses the following learning outcomes:
b. demonstrate project leadership skills; identify and assess risk in designing, executing a major project;
c. critically reflect on current project management ethics, research, and theory and practice;
d. lead and manage projects effectively through planning, leadership, monitoring, teamwork, and global awareness;
Total Marks 100
Word count 1800 – 2000
Due 31 May by 23:55 PM
Submission Guidelines All work must be submitted on Moodle by the due date along with a completed Assignment Cover Page.
The assignment must be in MS Word format, 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font and 2 cm margins on all four sides of your page with appropriate section headings.
Reference sources must be cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list using APA or IEEE referencing style.
Extension If an extension of time to submit work is required, a Special Consideration Application must be submitted directly to the School’s Administration Officer, in Melbourne on Level 6 or in Sydney on Level 7. You must submit this application three working days prior to the due date of the assignment. Further information is available at:
Academic Misconduct is a serious offence. Depending on the seriousness of the case, penalties can vary from a written warning or zero marks to exclusion from the course or rescinding the degree. Students should make themselves familiar with the full policy and procedure available at: http://www.mit.edu.au/about-mit/institute-publications/policies-procedures-and-guidelines/Plagiarism-Academic-Misconduct-Policy-Procedure. For further information, please refer to the Academic Integrity Section in your Unit Description.
Purpose of the Assessment:
The purpose of this assignment is to:
1. Develop a well-researched project planning document based on the overall parameters of a networking related project,
2. Establish an appropriate project management plan, and quality environment required to complete the chosen project.
3. Analyse project issues, conduct post-project review (i.e., lessons learned) and make recommendations for improvements for future projects.
In this assessment task, you will present a proposal for the major project assignment. Proposal template is available on Moodle. The project must be selected from the networking, telecommunication or related Information Technology (IT) area. Your topic should be clear and succinct. Research on existing or emerging technologies in your selected area and find suitable topics that fit your research interest.
The project duration should 12 Months or more. Before starting, seek approval for the proposed project from your laboratory tutor. Address all stages of Project Management as outlined in the unit. A suitable project management software (e.g. MS Project 2016) must be used. The project report should include all phases of a project life cycle, i.e. Initiating, Planning, Executing and Closing. Project Management Plan helps the management team to maintain a constant focus towards delivering the project in accordance with the customer needs and expectations.
The following points must be considered in writing the project report.
• Students are expected to show evidence of self-directed reading and research using credible resources including, but not limited to their prescribed text.
• The assignment will be marked on the basis of depth of analysis, research, references and integration of all aspects of project management.
• Assessment will be on the basis of the realistic nature of the project and how well it is presented.
• Present the final document should be written in Business English in a report format; in a form that would be consistent with the details of the chosen project.
• The timeline, the budget and the quality of the work must be realistic, justifiable and sufficiently attractive to win a tender for a real project.
Quality: Excellent Very Good Good Satisfactory Unsatisfactory
All topics are pertinent and covered in depth. Ability to think critically and source material is demonstrated Topics are relevant and soundly analysed. Generally relevant and analysed. Some relevance and briefly presented. This is not relevant to the assignment topic.
Project report requirements:
The project report must cover at least the following aspects:
• A clear outline of the project including title, start and end date, goals and objectives, etc.
• Project requirements (both functional and non-functional)
• Project team members (title, skills/expertise, not names!)
Project report headings:
Project report must be presented using the following headings:
Heading: What and how to present. Marks
1 Project scope: Clear, including exclusions. 5
2 Work Breakdown Structure (WBS): following the scope. 10
3 Estimated time-line: well related to the WBS. 5
4 Resources needed: well related to the WBS. 10
5 Gantt Charts and Network Diagrams 10
6 Estimated cost: well related to the WBS. 5
7 Quality plan: What, why and how to achieve it. 5
8 Stakeholder analysis: as a matrix of important aspects. 5
9 Communications plan: as a matrix of important aspects. 5
10 Risks management plan: as a matrix of important risks. 10
11 Ethical issues analysis: using PMI guidelines. 10
12 Project deployment plan: as realistic as possible. 5
13 How to crash the total project duration by 2 weeks. 5
14 Project Signoff: a formal document on a separate page. 5
15 Post project review: including lessons learnt. 5
The report should have a consistent, professional, and well-organized appearance. Create the report (1800-2000 Words) showing extensive use of PM software, e.g. MS Project 2016.
1. The report should include the following:
• A cover page listing students name and ID, tutor name, and Assignment-2 as title.
• The report must include all sections listed in the Marking Criteria, with appropriate heading and sub-headings to create a well-presented and readable repot.
• Reference sources, cited in the text of the report, and listed appropriately at the end in a reference list.
• The assignment must use 1.5 spacing, 11-pt Calibri (Body) font with appropriate section headings, and table of contents (made automatically in MS Word). Page number must appear on each page.
2. Submit the report as a soft (electronic) copy under Moodle, along with the Project Management software (e.g. MS Project) file.