Topic: Content Analysis Project
Subject: Content material Evaluation Mission
1) Select 4 media episodes/reveals (22 -60 minutes). (you possibly can alternate NEW journal articles for reveals, books, different sources.)
a) they need to be the identical present/collection, however do not should be when you have a purpose.
b) create your code sheet (use the connected sheet as a mannequin)
c) qualitative (themes) or quantitative (phrases/actions)
d) outline themes or actions
2) Rely the (that is as much as you) pictures, tales,clothes, ages, gender, race, class, earnings, violence, intercourse, medication, and so on.
Three) Clarify why selected to observe for this function (a) how did you resolve what to rely and (b) what standards did you employ to be sure you counted what you mentioned you counted
four) Analyze your findings, what did you discover and what does it imply
1200-1600 phrases (embody pics if you would like) (8pts)
Share/summarize your findings to the category subsequent week in a short (2pts)
1) shows ought to be approx. 2 minutes
2) ought to clarify WHY you selected this medium and explicit content material
Three) ought to clarify HOW you DEFINED what you'll MEASURE and the way you measured it
four) what you discovered (ex. in 187 minutes I discovered 207 pictures of violence or in four episodes I discovered the portrayal of girls restricted to supporting roles and featured lower than 6 minutes of dialogue whole)
5) What ought to we take away from this, what's the vital understanding we've missed.
Content material Evaluation is usually about uncovering unsettling messages. View this movie as a primer on your challenge.
Take into account how viewing these movies reinforces beliefs about equality, gender, class, sexuality, and so on.
CONTENT ANALYSIS CODE SHEET
This sheet is that will help you hold observe of what and the way you’re measuring. This isn't your memo/paper.
Content material Title____________________ # of episodes _____________ size in minutes of each_____
1) Definition of theme/phrase/motion that's to be counted (if related embody what is just not counted).
2) How we're measuring (scenes, seconds, and so on.) (ex. 15:02-15:27)
Theme/phrase/motion Time (throughout episode) Period Description
Ethnic jokes Three:02-Three:15 12 seconds Joe makes a joke about Jims racial background